So, it hit me today as I was walking through one of my favorite interior stores, R.O.O.M., that we have a new color taking over the shelves. Copper, the fun-loving cousin of silver and gold, is having a moment and it could not make me happier. I love taking notice of the subtle shift of color and material trends because often it happens so quickly and seamlessly that we don’t even realize what’s going on until its staring us in the face.
I think it’s safe to say gold has been in the limelight for quite some time now, and although always prevalent, we’re starting to see a bit of a shift. Copper accents, from lighting to table tops, are popping up all over the place and stealing the show.
Here’s a few things I love about copper:
1. Copper is friendly! I look at it this way: if I had to choose a friend out of gold, silver, and copper, I’d definitely go with Copper. It’s both elegant and casual, while also being able to brighten up any space.
2. Copper is warm! Yup, because of its orangey, almost reddish tone, it naturally feels warm and inviting. This means that it will also have the same effect in your home. Try it.
3. Copper is versatile! There is no doubt that copper goes with just about any color scheme and that it actually compliments most colors. It looks especially amazing against dark walls and with blues and greens (think – complimentary color scheme). It is available in both highly shiny finishes as well as more rustic, weathered looks. Take your pic!
4. Copper is a happy medium! And I do not mean that in a bad way. I’ve often found myself deciding between silver or gold, which really both have two very different feels and would lead to very different results in a room. In my experience, gold carries a connotation of tradition, royalty and glamour with it, while silver is more clean, modern, and cold at times. Copper somehow fills the shoes of being a showstopper like gold, as well as a subtle accent like silver.
5. Copper is shiny! It doesn’t have to be, but if you’re looking to add a little shine to a room, it wont let you down. Then again doesn’t every room deserve a little shine?!
6. Copper gets better with age! This one might not be for everyone, but I happen to looooove the look of old copper. Because it naturally reacts to the oxygen in the air, a green layer, called verdigris, forms over time. It can also have a rainbow-ish look to it if it is handled often, which is also very beautiful.
And by the way, check out this awesome copper and glass oil lamp by Swedish designers Mats Broberg & Johan Ridderstråle. I’m seeing these everywhere these days and they’re def on my wish list.